Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Words on a page

Everybody has a story.

And most people like to share it.

I have been called a "nosy so-in so".  (Note:  These words are offered from a heart full of love.  I am not in the least bit offended).

Actually I am not nosey.  I am curious.  No wait - I am interested!

And when I hear the story I love to share it. 

My best means of doing that is with words on a page.

In 2010 I was presented with a wonderful opportunity.

"My name is John Compton".

I listened to to my voice mail.  I listened to it again.  What was he saying? 

"I am working with the Duval County Medical Society to publish a book about the history of the DCMS and I would like to talk with you about being one of the writers".

I knew about the Medical Society.  My mother had done some work on their directory when our friend, John Nill, was in the publishing business.  Our family friend, Dr. O.E. Harrell, had been instrumental in that organization many years ago.  And  my friends Marigrace Doran and Leora Legacy  worked for DCMS. 

"Was I interested?"

Was he kidding?

And so it was that after being a nosy, curious, interested person - who talked with more than 75 physicians or practice administrators, my words are on a page.  It's a nice coffee table book that can be found in doctor's offices and at some local bookstores and I've heard there's a possibility that it's coming to the Barnes and Noble on-line bookstore.  I don't think those details have been finalized.

The best thing I know about all of that is that it fulfilled one of my lifelong dreams.  I am published.  Leora wrote the history and I wrote 75 of the 100 physicians/practices that are included and worked with Marigrace who worked on graphics, layout and photographs.  Our photos and bio are on the inside flap (along with another writer, Kara Pound).

However, my friend Deborah Hansen has done what I really want to do. 

She has done what poet William Wadsworth exhorted  when he said "Fill your paper with breathings of your heart."
Deb's first book Broken Strings: Wisdom for Divorced and Separated Families, was published in  2007.  She took her experiences as a single mother and shared them as a handbook for the many other parents who find themselves "going this parenting route - alone".  In 2010 Deborah accepted the challenge of going 21 days without complaining.  It took her 125 days but she did it!

For my birthday this year, Deb gave me an empty journal.  These words in her handwriting are on the inside flap  "Why do writers write?  Because it isn't there." (Thomas Berger). 

That's why we put our words on a page - because in our minds - no one else has put them there. 

Like Deb, I have been writing since I was a child - poetry, essays, a couple short stories, a column on Jacksonville.com. and now this blog. 

But still a dream - of being published...I mean putting the breathing of my heart on paper...So watch out world.  More of my words are going to be on a page.






1 comment:

  1. I am so pleased to see your words more frequently lately! I am anxious to read more as we go into 2013. And thank you for highlighting my work, too.

    ReplyDelete