Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Is that Jesus?


It is one of my most precious memories.
 
I have always been very involved in the church.  I became a Christian as a first grader and grew up loving to sing and share as a part of my worship experience.  I loved the life God had planned for me as a pastor's wife. 
 
Although I was not raised in a church where the worship was liturgical, I have always appreciated that kind of worship. I love the procession of the choir, crosses, banners, lay Eucharistic ministers who will assist at the rail during communion  and the clergy. I love the responsive position of worshiping. When the scripture is read, I love to hear "the word of the Lord to which the congregation responds "Thanks be to God". I love the corporate prayers of the people that precedes the prayer of confession and I really appreciate it when the celebrant instructs the people to greet one another with a message of God's peace.

In 1981 I lived in Louisville, Kentucky with my minister husband and our three children.  I'm still not sure how I did this but I convinced him that we should go to a midnight worship service at Christ Cathedral in downtown Louisville.  In retrospect, I feel like he was most agreeable, although this was really out of his comfort zone. 
 
We sat in the back of the beautiful cathedral and I watched as our children who were then 10, 7 and 4, took it all in.  As in any service like this, the Bishop was the last to come in and he sat at the front in the Bishop's Chair.  Because I am now an Episcopalian, it all makes sense to me.  Back then it was strange and unique but very beautiful.
 
I then heard a little familiar voice - "Mommy," the voice was meek.  Those children knew about behaving in church. 
 
I looked down the row and  saw my four-year-old leaning forward.
 
"Is that Jesus?"  He was pointing to the Bishop.
 
I told him no but that the man was going to tell us about Jesus which although I don't remember the sermon, I am sure he did - as he shared the message of Hope, Peace, Joy and Love with us that night - a night that remains one of my dearest Christmas memories.
 
Why?  Because the best gift Ray Parker and I gave our  children is the gift of faith! Oh, they had to make the decision to accept that gift (which is from God, through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ).  But we presented them with opportunities to hear and more than that to see how the hope, peace, joy and love of the Christ child could change their lives and the lives of others!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment