Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Were the shadows worth it?

My mother and I just returned from a seven day, 1,135 miles trip through Georgia and South Carolina.

The idea came about when mother and I were returning from a 24-four hour "turn around" to Tampa where we visited my daughter, Renee, and her family (husband, Wally and two girls, Abbie and Allie).

"Now don't be putting this on Facebook," I told her, "but I was thinking we might take a trip to see our South Carolina family and friends".

My participation in the Duval County Medical Society project was almost done.  I was going to spend the month of May thinking, praying, asking questions, writing -  hoping to determine what at might be going to unfold for the next phase of my life.  My mother had weathered the Tampa trip well.  So I put out a few feelers to see what our potential hosts would think of our coming to see them.

The response was positive and I began to plan the trip - an adventure that is  now history.

May 6  - Our first stop was Savannah when we worshipped with one of my special childhood friends, Rick Darrow and his lovely wife, Patricia. 

May 12 - Our last stop was Savannah where we spent the night at a Best Western and my mother got to go to The Lady and Her Sons. 

With Savannah as the books ends - I have many stories to tell.

Lots of sunshine with just a few shadows.

My plan was to blog about this trip every day, but the conversation was just too good to miss, besides one of my best assets is my "rememberer".  I knew I could recount almost every chat and experience when I got home.  So I left my laptop zippered in its canvas cover.

What a compliment when I arrived at my cousin, Ken's to hear  - "I thought you were going to blog every day".  Well I was, but you know what they say "the best laid plans...".

And still "the best laid plans...".

We have been home for three days - 72 hours that have been filled with washing, ironing, trying on some of the fabulous hand me downs I got from my aunt and cousin and putting everything away when right in the middle of those little interruptions.

A HUGE interruption.

Tuesday, May 15 - Lunch time - and suddenly - the lightening flashed and the thunder clapped.  It was a millisecond I'm sure.  When I returned to the computer, no Internet connection.  The next 24 hours included my scouring over the AT&T U-verse manual and several telephone conversations with my AT&T U-verse-brilliant brother in law - no solution.

Talk about a SHADOW.

But a nice man named Terry came and now the SUN SHINES (at least in my heart) as I am finally getting down to business to share some of our adventures.  Starting tomorrow (May 17) we'll take a trip through time (first installment acutally happened on May 6) and I'll share some stories.  You can decide for yourself -

Was our 1,135 mile trip - filled with sunshine or were there shadows? And were the shadows worth it?





No comments:

Post a Comment