Sunday, May 20, 2012

Fun on the Farm

May 8 - following lunch with Dr. McQuilkin, author A Promise Kept, we were on our way to spend a couple of days on K-D Farm, where my father's sister, Gloria Capp, lives with her daughter, Diane - the D in the name of the 100 acres just outside of Darlington, South Carolina.

Diane and her husband, Scott Creveling share this lovely piece of property with another couple - wife's name is Karen and that's where the K comes from.

The Jacksonville family (my parents, siblings and our children) have enjoyed visiting the farm for more than 10 years now.  What a great place for respite.   

Respite?  Actually we had been there less than an hour when Diane announced that it was time for our walk - which consisted of 2 miles through the woods. That night she told me to be sure I checked really good for ticks.

For ticks?  I was in the country.

Which also proved true when Aunt Gloria served a delicious meal of roast beef, rice and gravy, fresh squash, corn on the cob and sliced tomato.
And at dinner we were joined by Scott's mother, Florence, who is always a delight.

Aunt Gloria has always been a favorite aunt (okay - I have five aunts and they are all my favorite in one way or another).  She was my father's only sister, they were very close and she always doted on me a bit.  No matter when I go there, she's always got a few clothes for me to see if I like or can wear.  Never seems to matter what size I am currently wearing; there is always something.  And she's a pretty snazzy dresser so I always come home anxious to wear what she's given me.

On Day five, we were treated to a delicious country cookin lunch at a restaurant between Florence and Hartsville.  Mr. B's was delightful.  Diane's sister, Debbie, her husband, Curry and their eldest daughter, Jennifer joined us. 
When Debbie, Diane and I are together, we really miss my sister Cindy so we have to laugh harder to make up for her absence.  We also enjoy trying to figure out who looks (or acts) the most like our grandma Lonnie.  I'm the shortest, so I've got that one there.  My ears are the smallest so I'm lost in that one.  All four of us absolutely adore being a grandmother which is certainly something grandma Lonnie was known for.

Later that day, Jamie (Debbie's second daughter) joined us for leftovers and more laughter.

Day six included a wonderful morning sitting on the dock - actually more like a deck that Scott built and watching the fish jump and a mother osprey guarding her nest high above the lake.

Later that day - another two mile walk...on the rail trail in Florence.

And that evening - well I'm saving that evening for another time - you know that Jeff Foxworthy monologue - "You might be a red neck if...".  Just wait.

Our time of respite on the farm, visiting and sharing, laughing and praying would soon come to an end - but not without an invitation from the South Carolina family to the Florida cousins --

"Y'all come back now...ya hear?"




No comments:

Post a Comment