Sunday, July 1, 2012

Something I've never done before

About 18 months ago, my friend Deborah Hansen determined that every month she would do something she had never done before.  For a while I watched and then I joined her - me and several of our friends who now have a Facebook group called Life Changers.  It's been fun to  see what some of us have done - learn to dance; drive a motorcycle; rock climb.

I have done none of the above.  However today I did somethingI have never done before.

I signed my Medicare card.

Oh help.  Am I really old enough to have qualified for Medicare?

Well, yeah.  I have lots of silver in my brunette hair, am beginning to have aches and pains in places that I didn't know I have and am certainly plagued with those dreaded body changes that most women my age have experienced. 

So what am I going to do about it?

What can I do about it?

The aging process is exactly what it is...the aging process.

However, I am determined not to let this get me down.  I am going to look for some more adventures.  I recently saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - twice.  And then I bought the book.  Why?  Because although I don't necessarily agree with everything in that story, I do think it's important to find a way to enjoy life and to remember that life can still be an adventure.

Today is the first day of the month that I turn 65.  May be filled with sunshine, but surely there will be shadows. Aging cannot be stopped.  But is might as well include some adventure.

I'm going to do more than be open to adventure.  I am going to look for adventure - with the help my family and friends -- This week my Tampa family is going to provide me with adventures -- Abbie and Allie have planned projects for us; I get to participate in a couple of Bible studies; go with them to the Temple Terrace Fourth of July parade and enjoy fireworks later that night.

Actually I've just learned about a little bit of an adventure -- Renee and her family are WALKING in that parade.  I've never walked in a parade...maybe...

Nah.  I'll find a spot and watch.  Besides I will probably meet some interesting people.  That's always an adventure.




 .

No comments:

Post a Comment