Sunday, July 15, 2012

And I almost missed it

Years ago I heard an old time gospel preacher paint a beautiful word picture of a shelf that was laden down with presents.

He said some were wrapped in pretty ribbons, some still wrapped in plastic...some in huge dress boxes and others in boxes that encase a bracelet or a ring.

His point was that sometimes we are so busy asking God for something that we don't take the opportunity to check the shelf for the blessings that are already there.

This morning I debated about going to church - I know that's really not a debatable question.  I just was kind of in a funk and finally a little voice said - You might miss something if you don't go.So I went.

As I walked down the lane toward the sanctuary I saw my friends Randy and Allison.  They had been to the 8:00 service.

"You will love church," they told me.

And guess what?  They were right.

I had forgotten that Michele Perry, one of our missionaries who works in an orphanage in South Sudan, was our special guest.  She spoke with passion and shared the love she has for the 125 children who are a part of the ministry there, in an orphanage where there is no electricity nor running water.

One of my granddaughters recently read A Long Walk to Water so we've been made aware of the water shortage in the Sudan and it all became so real to me this morning as I listened to Michele. 

And because we have adopted children in our family, Michele's words about how adoption is one of the ways that the reality of God's love is expressed really rang true in my heart. I cannot began to tell you how I feel when I see those children and realize that they are loved, cared for - and they all know this is a part of God's plan for each of their lives!

It was great - and I almost missed it.

There's something else I almost missed today.  I don't know why I put off cleaning off my desk.  I like to clean and love to organize.  But for some reason, that's usually a task I avoid. However, I decided today is the time.

I've been inundated with political mail not to mention all the mail about supplemental insurance etc., and I've just sort of stacked those flyers and envelopes.  One by one they hit the trash can.  And  then there was an envelope with an unfamiliar return address  -

Hum -  I opened it.

"Oh my land."

There's a check inside - an insurance rebate.  And I almost missed it.  There are some things I've been meaning to do - make a donation, buy a camera, tuck some money away for the three family birthdays that are fast approaching.   And I have HONESTLY been thinking and praying about rearranging the budget - especially for the camera.

And to think I almost missed it.

When's the last time you checked your blessings shelf?


No comments:

Post a Comment