Tuesday, August 11, 2020

When the daughter becomes the mother

I thought it wouldn't happen until I was in my 70's.

Hello!

I have promised my children that when it is time for them to become my parent I want them to remind me that I have said I will listen.

For me, one of the most difficult parts of having an aging mother is that sometimes I've had to say "mother you really shouldn't do that".  Like the time she thought she could walk to her church and deliver something that she wanted there before Sunday.  Or the time she used her walker, but still moved plants that were hanging outside our kitchen window.  Or when she went through the line at Michaels without knowing how much money was in her checking account.

Just little things.

First - let me begin with a disclaimer.  I have been tested and I do not have COVID19.  At least I didn't on Saturday, August 8 when I made a trip to my nearby Carespot.

However, I was with a friend for dinner in late July. A few days later, my friend learned that she had been exposed just four days before our time together.   My friend quickly quarantined herself and went for the test.

She told me and to be truthful I almost forgot about it.

But when she became ill on her 12th day (since she had been with the other friend), I became a little more concerned.

I was mostly concerned about her.

I had a cavalier attitude as far as my personal health

"Yes", I told my daughter. " I will tell the friends I am supposed to have lunch with on Saturday, but no I'm not going to cancel my scheduled early voting responsibilities.  I'm not doing anything that drastic until my friend's results are back".

"Mom, it's time for me to be the mother".

Renee - you could have not said anything that I would hear louder.

So I made that call.  I prepared to stay home through this Thursday (14 days after my dinner with my friend).  I ordered groceries.  I started some creative projects.  But I was just sure that my friend was going to get negative results.

Until she texted me - Positive.

I took myself to Carespot for the test.  It was a piece of cake.  No worse than having one's finger pricked for a quick blood test.  I heard it could be as long as 18 days.  YIPES

I made the difficult calls to friends I had been with since I had been exposed to someone who tested positive. This was no one's fault.  We wear masks.  We social distance. The restaurant where we were is well covered - the only thing any of us could have done is stay home.  

Maybe I am in my 70's - but staying home is not on my current agenda.

My results came back quickly.  I had tested negatively.  I happily shared my good news.  Even my friend (who is recuperating at home) was delighted.

Now, will I always be able to hear one of my children when they think I'm about to make an unwise decision? That day years from now when I become the child and one of them is the parent?

To borrow from one of Renee's favorite growing-up words -

"Hopefully"


May your life be filled with enough Sunshine 
to make you appreciate the Shadow



No comments:

Post a Comment