Monday, August 31, 2020

They work better when they are new

School supplies.

This is what I equate the first day back to school with.  I still love "back to school" shopping although it's been more than 25 years since I had to do that - at least for my children.

My youngest grandchildren start the 7th grade today.  They have already spent their first year in Middle School - like their parents but different from their grandma.

Seventh grade was, for me, my entrance into the world of High School.

It was 1959.  We had a new baby in our family.  Life had already gotten quite different for my sister, Cindy, and me. For six years I had walked to school or been taken by car. And Cindy and I went to the same school.  This year she would be a third-grader.  And she would be the chosen one for our mother to take to school.  So, I guess, mother and Jonathan (who was then five months old) took Cindy for her first day of school,

And I got on the bus and went to Englewood.

I'll never forget that morning.  I felt so strange.  A little bit alone I'm sure.

And then I saw a friend - and her mother - looking into a window in one of the wings at Englewood.  And I felt so grown up.  My mother sent me to school - she didn't go with me.

I always remember that morning now more than 60 years ago.  I especially remembered it this weekend as I read Mark Woods' column in the Florida Times Union.  "Boo Hoo's and Yahoos" -  what a great title.  His eldest child is starting college.  There's sadness and gladness all wrapped up into the same emotional state.  

My friend, Angela Boyd posted this photo of her son, Wilson, the day Angela and her husband, Steven, left their firstborn at the Univesity of Florida.

This photo is similar to Mark Woods' words as he described Mia walking away from them. 

We raise our children to be independent and seeing that happen brings joy and a question - now that they are growing up - what's the parent to do? Some yahoos, some boohoos, lots of praying.

In addition to having two 7th grade grands, I have a freshman, a junior and two seniors - not to mention a junior in college.  I am so glad I didn't have to make the decision about their return to "brick and mortar".  I am also glad I'm not the at-home teacher of any who are at home.  That's one of the benefits of being the grandmother.   I so appreciate those of you who had to make that "keep your children safe" decision and more than that grandparents I know who are the teachers. 

And now I'm going to grab a mask and take a walk - through the "Back to School" aisles.  I really need some pencils. No, I'm not taking a class - it's just that pencils work better when they are new.

May your life be filled with enough Sunshine 
to make you appreciate the Shadow





























No comments:

Post a Comment