Monday, May 31, 2021

Thanks...

Memorial Day, 2021

     I remember something called Decoration Day.  People wore poppies to remember fallen soldiers.  I think that's a holdover from the Civil War.  I was surprised to read recently that the first observance of the day as a Federal holiday was on May 31, 1971.  That's half a century ago.  And through the years we have now extended the day to honor all soldiers who died in American wars.

     Some people think it's a reason for a picnic.  It is the first holiday of summer, part of a three-day weekend and there are almost always great sales.  I was reminded recently that is a solemn day - not one for celebration.  I have red and blue shirts with stars -- that for the fourth of July.  Today - just a red, white and blue outfit. 

     "We are the last generation to appreciate what Memorial Day means," said a woman I met as we both walked through the Mandarin Cemetery this morning.

     That may be true.

     However - at least some of us are still recognizing its value.

    


      I especially appreciated this flag I saw towering over State Road 13 on Sunday, May 30.  I liked it so much that I stopped and took a photo to send to my son who is out of town this weekend.  Later in the day when my friend and I were out for a drive, I insisted that we go across the Julington Creek Bridge so he could see it.

     I felt like I should send whoever has is hanging there a thank you note.

     I know I need to write a thank-you note to those mothers, wives, children, siblings, and friends who lost a loved one in one of our wars.  Most of my friends had an uncle who died in WWII.  Those were our parents' peers.  Many of us at least have contact with someone who died in Viet Nam. And some of us have someone who died in Iraq or Afghanistan. 

     One of my favorite little boys during the '90s was Nathan Clemons.  He was a fine young man who proudly served his country and unfortunately lost his life in that endeavor.  I'll never forget his daddy at his memorial service as a tribute to Nathan came to a close "That's my son."

     And although my dad, my son, and my nephews all came home from their time serving, there's one thing I can thank them for.  They honored (and still honor) the flag!  When Rich Suhey died, my dad insisted that his casket be covered with an American Flag.  When I moved into this house 22 years ago, my dad purchased and hung a flag.  

    When that flag was finally too mildewed and worn, I purchased a new one.  

    If there is one thing my daddy taught me - it's to be thankful for my country - and honor its flag.  Thanks, Daddy.  

     And thanks to Sandy Arpen, Bob Nay, and Joe Walsh for spending a few hours on Saturday to place the flags in our Cemetery.


May your life be filled with enough Sunshine 

to make you appreciate the Shadow











No comments:

Post a Comment