Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Strong Sibling Support System

This is my mother's
Beth, Caroly, Ann and Iva

This is mine
Paula, Lester, Cindy and Jonatha

This is my children's

Becca, Tray and Renee 
Three generations all share something in common.  It's a title I dreamed up when my children were teenagers.  All of us have a strong sibling support system.

For years I have seen my aunts rally to each other's side when there was a need.  Recently I have become very aware of aunt Ann as she goes to see my mother almost every day.  When aunt Thelma was soon to pass, the four Florida sisters got on an airplane and went to be with her and her family. aunt Ann, aunt Carolyn, and my mother came back to Jacksonville before Aunt Thelma died.  Aunt Beth stayed.  And I'll always remember that Aunt Ann was with my mother shortly after they had heard the news of their sister's death.

Just prior to our losing daddy, Lester wrote to us that he was looking forward to sharing the grief we were about to experience.  At the funeral - all of us were physically touching each other!  Through our mother's aging, we are of one voice.  I do not have to be at all concerned that a decision that is made is just mine - or any of ours.  Each of us has the love and respect for each other that is necessary at a time like this.

And my children - when one of them is doing something big or has a need of our love, support and prayer, we all get a text.  They probably also text and don't include me.  I have always said that they can be miles apart but you let something happen and they are all together.  

All of the above is why I chose to do this at a recent girls night out at Board and Brush.


As to my children, I should add a disclaimer. I really don't like the fact that we have grown in different directions.  I miss being the captain of the team known as Parker.  They grew up to be what I hope they would - strong, independent, capable adults.  They love and serve Christ, their mates, and their children.  I am very proud of them.

I can tell you, however, that just as my aunts rally to help our mother and my siblings and I are co-workers in our mother's care, my children rise to the occasion when their mother has a need and I appreciate that so much.

Our roots really do keep us all together. 

May your life be filled with enough Sunshine 
to make you appreciate the Shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment