Monday, May 29, 2017

Did you hang the flag?



"One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts" (Psalm 145:4).

My daddy knew many Bible verses and quoted them to us again and again.  I never heard him refer to the above-mentioned Scripture, but I can tell you that he practiced it.

I watched the Memorial Day presentation from our nation's capital this year with a smile...that is something that I had shared with daddy. I think my first thought upon awakening this morning was "Did you hang the flag, yet?"

Memorial Day has always been a "big" deal in the Huffingham family.  Our daddy was a veteran of World War II.  He actually was the first young man from their community to enlist when war had been declared in 1941.  My parents were married only 7 weeks when daddy shipped out to the Pacific and mother came home to wait - 43 months.

During those months, tragedy struck her family.   The only brother and eldest child, Rudolph, was killed in action.  As the first-born and only male in his family, he had played a unique role and much was expected of him.  His sisters have remembered his strong personality, and they have continued to hold him in a place of high esteem.  He entered the armed services in 1943 - became a pilot - and gave his life in the service of his country on May 29, 1944 (that's 73  years ago on this Memorial Day). .Uncle Rudolph had been my daddy's best friend.  There's no doubt in my mind, but that is why Memorial Day carried that much weight in our little family.

But our family was not alone.  Many of my childhood friends can tell you stories of an uncle who was killed in World War II.  Years later when i met my children's father, his mother was quick to tell me that she too had lost a brother, Claude Leonard Gentry, in the war.

My generation has been called the Baby Boomers because so many of us were born between the end of World War II (1945) and the early 60's. I'm not sure we will ever be called the Greatest Generation even though we went through a war as well.  One that was not as well received as daddy's war had been.  But we also lost those we love.  

These individuals are what we know and honor as HEROES.  They gave their life for something they believed in. They are examples of what Jesus taught when he said,  "Greater love hath no man, but that he lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13). 

My daddy's advice to his great grandchildren and those who are yet to come - Be sure you tell the stories I've told you - about the bravery and sacrifice of those who came before you.  One of his favorite Christian songs was Find Us Faithful.  We do find our father faithful, and we will tell the stories of his generation - and  - I hung the flag!

"We remember with grateful hearts the men and women of our country who in the day of decision ventured much for the liberties we now enjoy (From the Book  of Common Prayer, Prayers of Thanksgiving).)


May your life be filled with enough sunshine
to make you appreciate the shadows



No comments:

Post a Comment