Sunday, December 8, 2013

Organized confusion

I often say that organized confusion is my favorite state in which to be.

That's not exactly true.

I should say that as long as I am in control of it ... then I'm okay with it.

For weeks I have helped plan my mother's move to Texas.  The doctor's appointments were taken care of, the meds ordered, she saw all of her friends.  The plane ticket was purchased and several boxes of her things were already delivered to my brother, Jonathan's home in Weatherford.

And my mother is clearly ready to go.
  
Everything was great.

And then an ice storm.

So now we are in the waiting stage.  My mother is living out of her suitcase.  And hour by hour we wait...

I know there's a reason.  I know it's going to be fine.  It's just that I worked so hard to make it happen smoothly.

Do you think I just might have some control issues here?

And really - has it mattered?  No.  I did what I had planned to do yesterday and am on track to do the same today. 

And in the meantime - here's a photo of how my life feels at this moment.

 

If you look closely to what I call my "undecorations", you will see that the second candle of the Advent Wreathe has been lit.

That's the candle of peace.

And I feel fortunate that I have no doubt but that there is peace - in my heart, in spite of the plans that have been interrupted by a storm.  I love that saying "Sometimes God calms the storm -and sometimes God lets the storm rage and calms His child."

As think on the candle of peace - I think of the verse in Philippians - words that are often used in benediction - and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus (Phillipians 4:7). 

Or has the Message translates it:  Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

After all - it's just a little ice storm!





No comments:

Post a Comment