Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Three score and 10


It used to be that people would live to be "three score and 10".  That's 70.

Rich Suhey was 21 years shy of that when he died.

Some of the things that Rich and I "acquired" during our life together mean so much to me. I especially loved the wind chimes we purchased on our trip to Myrtle Beach the summer before he passed.  I will always remember how long it took Rich to decide which ones to buy.  He was such a perfectionist.

I'm not that careful.  I brought the wind chimes to this house, but I left them on the deck.  They got wet.  When my brother hung them, they dropped to the floor and broke. I left the broken pieces on the deck.  I didn't realize that someone found them and ....

I wrote this 20 years ago this morning.

Daddy,
  
It is early morning.  The sky is gray.  No TU is yet on the driveway. I have enjoyed my first cup of coffee and am at my desk.  Today would have been Rich's 50th birthday. We had thought we might go to Hawaii to celebrate it.  Well, as we all know only too well - no Rich, no Hawaii, and no celebration - except...

I know there are many reasons to be grateful.  The wind chimes reminded me of that.
   
When they broke, I compared them to my heart, which had been broken into jillion pieces. I know that I could either have the wood replaced - and rehang them or I would buy some new ones, but that I would have wind chimes hanging outside my bedroom window - someday.  And I said that the music they would make might be different but they would bring me joy.

And this week, those wind chimes suddenly appeared - hanging - by my bedroom window.

So that last night as the wind began to blow - ever so gently, I began to hear - the music of those wind chimes. And I was aware that time had passed and it had become - the fiftieth anniversary of Richard Peter Suhey's birth.

It seemed, to me, appropriate - that the first time I heard those chimes was on this day.  I am so glad Rich was born and I am so glad I had the opportunity to know him, to love him and to be loved by him.  Our life together was short, but it was good. 

Just as the wind is making those chimes sing, the circumstances of my life today, are giving me reason to sing.  And we do have reason to celebrate.  We can celebrate his life and the way his life - changed mine.

So this note is to thank you for repairing and hanging my wind chimes.  Just as you have always said, "Everything's gonna be all right" Thank you for what you've done in my life to help that become a reality.

I love you, daddy.

Now here it is 20 years later.  The wind chimes are still hanging.  There's not much wind this morning but I really think I heard them ring a few minutes ago.  Just a simple reminder of the thanksgiving I have in my heart for a daddy like Earl Huffingham and a sweetheart whose name was Rich.


May your life be filled with enough Sunshine 
to make you appreciate the Shadows

2 comments: