Friday, December 21, 2018

"Go, tell it on the mountain"

In another time and in another place, the Huffingham had a maid whose name was Pecola. She did the ironing and sang as she worked.  Both my sister, Cindy and I loved to hear her singing - especially at Christmas. I  can just hear her singing "Go, tell it on the mountain". 

I tried to get Cindy to sing that song with me recently.  She said it would make her cry.

As we remembered that time in our lives I realized the reason I like that particular song.

Your first clue should be in the word  "tell."

I have never been accused of being quiet.  Nobody ever told me, but I am probably not even quiet when I sleep.

I just always have a story - or some words that I think are important to share - or something good (or bad) that's happening and my favorite way to share is with a pen or keyboard.

And yes - a cell phone.

You know the ones that you can use to TEXT.

I have a couple of friends who text me (and I them) just to say hello - as a reminder that we care and are praying and sending good wishes toward the other.  This is an everyday occurrence!

I love group texts.  That's because I can share the information succinctly and know that everyone gets what I have shared.   Sometimes the news is good.  My high school friends and I learned together when the first great-grandbaby in our group was born.  Sometimes it is of concern and a request for prayer like when my friend Mary Jo texted our prayer group to say she had taken a bad fall and couldn't host the dinner we had planned for that evening.  This week, my siblings and I texted about our brother's in-laws who are ill and my children and I texted about Christmas plans and presents.

I think my children prefer texting because I usually have fewer words.

So here we are - a few days before Christmas 2018.

And we can talk about a text...the most important text that has ever been written.

If I  try, I can almost recite those words --- "And it came to pass, in those days that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. . .".  Don't depend on me...look it up for yourself in the Gospel of Luke, chapter 2. Count the times the concept of "telling" is used.

The innkeeper said "no room";  the Angels had a story; the shepherds told each other "let's go see"; and then they made abroad what they had seen (that means they talked about it).

Only Mary remained quiet.  (Luke  2:19).  Hum, there might be a lesson there!

May your life be filled with enough Sunshine 
to make you appreciated the Shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment