Saturday, December 24, 2016

Doing what they always did

As Advent approached, I decided that I wanted to participate in some sort of daily meditation as a means to embrace the significance of this time in Christendom really.  I made a trip to my local Christian bookstore (Lifeway) and purchased A 28 Day Advent Devotional From Heaven, by A. W. Tozer.

I will be truthful.  I didn't really like it.  However, I read the appointed passage each day and when I was thinking of what I want to say I scanned the pages and found at least one sentence that I had underlined.   He wrote "how easy it might have been for God to have never shown us that He loved us" which is certainly what He did when He gave us His only Son.

That said, when I wasn't enjoying the aforementioned book, I found another.  And every day I have read from Waiting here for you, An Advent Journey of Hope, by Louie Giglio.   Fortunately, this one spoke to me.

Especially what I read today.

"On this night, shepherds were doing what they always did, keeping an eye on Bethlehems's sheep."

These ordinary men were most likely on the bottom line of an org. chart.  Maybe some had dreams of becoming a master shepherd but for the most part they were just tending sheep.  Not a very glamourous job for sure.  And Giglio points out that because of their profession, they were ceremoniously unclean - they couldn't go to the temple, even if they wanted to.

And yet, as they stood watch, something glorious happened.  An angel spoke - and then others sang - and then they went to Bethlehem.

They didn't need permission to go to the manger and they were privileged to see the Baby who had been born that night.If Jesus had been born in a mansion, they would not have been welcomed.

Sometimes my life seems very mundane.  It seems that others are having more fun, completing projects that have great value, being recognized.  Truth be told, I'd rather be one of the wise men.  I like bringing gifts.  Or I wouldn't have minded being an angel - or even the innkeeper.

Who wants to be a shepherd?

And yet when I look at the shepherds, recognizing that they were doing what they always did, I realize that what is important for me is to keep doing what I always do.  That's my plan for 2017.



May your life be filled with enough sunshine


to make you appreciate the shadows



No comments:

Post a Comment