Wednesday, February 17, 2016

He knew my name

My life was in a state of disarray.

The life that Rich Suhey and I had planned was not going to happen.  I was a 51 year old widow who had been married to the man who I believed to be the love of my life for just 8 months when he was suddenly snatched away.  It was a very difficult time.

When I reflect on those days, I know that I could not have survived without the love of my family and friends and my faith.

I also know that I needed to be a part of a Christian community of faith.  Worship and service had been a part of who I am since I was a child.

Rich had introduced me to liturgical worship and I often found myself at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in those early days. 

On the first Sunday of Lent in 1999 I completed the card in the pew and asked for a call from the Rector.

And so it was that on Tuesday, February 16, my phone rang an the voice on the other end was the Rev. Rick Westberry, St. Paul's Rector.

We chatted and I said I planned to attend the Lenten Simple Supper Series that would begin the next night.  The program would be videos by Tony Campalo and I always liked him.

I'll never forget that night.  I was seated at a table when Father Rick walked into the room - and said "Hello Paula".

How did he know my name?  Well, no doubt it was Rich's Vistakon jacket that gave him a clue -- and yet it meant so much to me. 

That "knowing my name" thing was very special.

As I thought of how special I did some research in Scripture and using the words "knew my name" I found some words from Isaiah 43 that resonated to my state of being in 1999 and even today.  This is from The Message

 1-4 But now, God’s Message,
    the God who made you in the first place, Jacob,
    the One who got you started, Israel:
“Don’t be afraid, I’ve redeemed you.
    I’ve called your name. You’re mine.
When you’re in over your head, I’ll be there with you.
    When you’re in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you’re between a rock and a hard place,
    it won’t be a dead end—
Because I am God, your personal God,

He knows my name.

Amen.










1 comment: