Friday, September 29, 2017

Gnarled branches in a tree

The doorbell rang and a neighbor invited me to come out to the street.

She had been walking her dog, looked up and saw this:




One more result of Hurricane Irma.

It seems the aftermath continues.

It's hard to see in a photo taken by a phone but one limb is split and hanging by what looks like splinters.  At least that's how it looks from the ground.  The leaves around it are dead.  When it drops it's going to be a mess.

"You need to call someone", the neighbor said.  "It's going to fall and hit the corner of your house."

The only thing is - this tree is not in my yard.  Therefore at this time, it is not my responsibility. Until those branches that are holding on by a thread come crashing down.

I overreacted (surprise, surprise)

I did what I always do ... I called my son.  He's slammed with work "People whose houses are already damaged - not those who might have an issue."

And then I prayed (I know why didn't I do that first?).

And the answer came - I was reminded that the tree is not in my yard.  It is not my responsibility.  I should not do anything -- except tell my neighbor - the one whose front yard boasts that pretty tree. 

I've been trying not to be a "tend to it",  but sometimes I have no choice.  So, I showed the gnarled limb to my neighbor who was very appreciative as she said: "I'll call my tree man".

One of these days I might learn just to let things happen without getting myself into a panic.

"Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10).


May your life be filled with enough sunshine

to make you appreciate the shadows



No comments:

Post a Comment