Saturday, August 15, 2015

The path is leading where???

One of my all-time favorite movies is Out of Africa, starring Robert Redford and Meryl Streep.  Ask my children how tired they got of hearing me say "I had a farm in Africa".

I saw the movie about the time I was deciding it was not the end of the world to be a single mother and that somehow we were going to succeed.  If you have met my children, you know that I was most right to believe that.

I recently  bought a new lap top.  The name of the default screen saver is Footpaths.  There are ten shots of paths.  There's one in a meadow, one that is beside a large body of water one through a dessert, one through a forest. . . etc.

Each of these scenes share a commonality. No path has an end.

Who knows where that footpath is leading?

Back to Out of Africa, do you remember when Karen went to see Bror at the end of the first part of the movie?  Her last words “Perhaps he knew, as I did not, that the Earth was made round so that we would not see too far down the road.”

If Karen had known - would she have still made the trip to see her unfaithful husband?

Which brings to mind a question - "If you knew then what you know now would you take a different path?"

When I am asked that question my answer is no - I would have done it all again.

Yet still. . .I like to know where my path is leading.

We all know this about me - I am the queen of planners.   I start planning the next event before the ink is dry on the invitations.

And yet I know that I must learn. . .

In one of my daily readings this morning I found these words that seem to magnify what I keep hearing, feeling, experiencing:

", , ,we're not supposed to see too far ahead.  We're not supposed to know.  Don't forget that the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden was from the Tree of Knowledge"(Sarah Ban Breathnach in A Daybook of Comfort and Joy.

I don't know where the path is leading.

I guess that's where FAITH comes in!

No comments:

Post a Comment